At St. Anne’s we provide a broad and balanced curriculum. This will focus on what is appropriate to a child’s age and maturity. It will be:
- built on what a child already knows
- presented in a gradual and cumulative way
- interesting, enjoyable and stimulating
- well resourced
When planning our curriculum we use The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), as published by the Department of Education (2014), which states “The EYFS sets the standards that all early years providers must meet to ensure that children learn and develop well and are kept healthy and safe. It promotes teaching and learning to ensure children’s ‘school readiness’ and gives children the broad range of knowledge and skills that provide the right foundation for good future progress through school and life”.
The curriculum is divided into 7 areas of learning and development. These are the prime areas of:
- communication and language;
- physical development; and
- personal, social and emotional development.
and four specific areas of:
- understanding the world; and
- expressive arts and design.
We firmly believe that children learn through play and the planning of our activities reflects this. Each session is planned to incorporate all aspects of the curriculum as a whole with opportunity to allow for spontaneous activities